Sunday, November 26, 2006

Road to Madagascar

Few facts about Madagascar.

Capital city : Antananarivo (meaning, land of thousand soldiers) –TANA city
Independence form French since 26 June 1960
Airport name : Ivato Airport
Currency : local currency is Ariari .1usd=2000 ariari
They also using MFG,Malagasy Franc
During my trip there,I survived by holding local currency Ariari and USD notes.
They give you change in Ariari or Franc.
(Madgascar was collonized by France.Ariari was introduced since august 2003)
Language : Malagasy,French (erghh…I wish I could speak French!)
People who work closely with tourism,they can speak English.I survived!
Religion : various .They have Budha,Christian,Muslim(there is one big mosque in the city!),but
Most of them still strongly belief to their ancestor ,,nenek moyang…
Population: 14,000,000 (est)
Time zone : They are 5 hours behind Malaysia.(GMT +3)
Dialling code/country code : +261
Electricity : 127/220V .I have no issue with my laptop/camera /mobile phone battery charging.
Their socket is 2 PIN round.Just bring the converter.

How to get there from Asia: At this moment,any traveller can only go there via Bangkok.From Bangkok there is direct flight to Tana,twice per week.Its on Friday/Monday by Air Madagascar.Or you can go via mauritius,take flight to Mada from there.Things that we can enjoy there is Lemur,Chamelion,Baobab,scenic view ,Loads of national park,reserver park to enjoy the rare fauna and flora.Remember,it was told that,their ancestor was acctually from Malay and indonesian,so you can see some of them very look alike to Indonesian and Malay,but of course loads of them look like African,as there are part of Africa,long time ago.Have you watch madagascar movie.Thanks for promoting Madagascar,but the movie doesn’t really reflect the acctual Mada.Hey,there is no elephant ,lion,tiger.They are famous for Lemur,various type of Lemur.Will put the photo here as referance.
Before entering madagascar,get some knowledge of local do's and don'ts a bit,especially forbidden things(fady).Thanks to Adi,my trip-mate as he did some reading through VirtualTourist.com such as places you cannot go,things you can't take photo,don't points finger etc.Subjectlated to death,soul and spirit are important in Malagasy culture. We also learnt some fady that exist duirng our trip.Example,if you are in the boat,in the river,don't use umbrella.The crocodile in the river will turn to violance...Well,we respect theri belief..fady.I didn't try to open umbrella..I want to get back safely in one piece..**smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment